top of page

Carnegie Library

Carnegie Library – East B St. between North 1st and North Second Streets - 1911

In 1911, members of the Dixon Women’s Improvement Club decided that the community needed a library.  Mrs. R.J. Currey, club president, wrote to Andrew Carnegie asking for his assistance in building a library to serve the town’s 827 citizens.  After considerable correspondence, the City of Dixon received a Carnegie Grant of $10,000 for the library.  Carolyn Schulze donated the land, which included the Women’s Improvement Club Park.  The library was built from 1911 to 1912.  When it was dedicated in February 1913, it became known as the Dixon Union High School District library, also known as the Carnegie Library, and the Dixon Public Library.  Dixon was the first town in Solano County to have its own public library.  Carnegie public libraries were built across the United States between 1889 and 1923.  Today, 37 of the 142 libraries built in California are still in existence.  The library was listed in the National Register of historic places by the U.S. Department of Interior on Feb. 4, 2011.  This was made possible by the Dixon Carnegie Library Preservation Society.  In January 2020, the library became a part of the Solano County Library.

bottom of page